Have you got skills? Canada wants you!

by Northen Road, January 14th, 2022
Have you got skills? Canada wants you!

Have you got skills? Canada wants you!

Author: Yan Desjardins, Founder & Executive Director

Immigrate to Canada under the Skilled Workers Category

To fulfill its mission ‘to pursue the maximum social, cultural and economic benefits of immigration[1]’, Canada introduced a category of immigration called the ‘Skilled Worker Class’.

This category aims ‘to support the development of a strong and prosperous Canadian economy, in which the benefits of immigration are shared across all regions of Canada[2].

What does this mean for you?

Immigrating to Canada under the Skilled Worker category means that Canada recognizes the contributions that newcomers can make using their skills, education and resettlement capabilities. In other words, your past work experience and education combined with your age and available funds can land you in Canada as a Permanent Resident!

By qualifying to immigrate to Canada under the Skilled Worker category, your family can be on its way to a new life in Canada. Let’s take a closer look at the program.

How can I qualify under the Skilled Workers category?

The Skilled Workers program selects immigrants using a point system. The minimum points you will need to qualify is 67.

Let’s have a look at the points breakdown (selected examples: this is not an exhaustive list)

Education: Maximum 25 points

Your 3 years bachelor degree or your college degree can give you 21 points.

A Master’s degree can give you 23 points while only a PhD will grant the maximum 25



Language Proficiency: Maximum 28 points

You must meet the language requirements in either French or English, both official languages of Canada. The language benchmark is set at a score of 7 in each band, minimum. The minimum requirements will allow you 16 points; the higher the score the higher the points. If you have proficiency in both languages, you may get 4 extra points.

Work Experience: 15 points

You must have work experience in a skilled job of at least 1 year within the last 10 years.

What type of work qualifies to immigrate to Canada under the Skilled Worker category?

Canada has categorized employment in different skill sets. For instance, there are many levels of skilled jobs. The National Occupation Classification (NOC) list divides into 5 categories:

Skill type 0 = management jobs

Skill type A = professional jobs with university/college degrees

Skill type B = technical jobs, skilled trades

Skill type C = intermediate jobs requiring high school degree

Skill type D = labor jobs

Only skill types 0, A, or B can qualify you for permanent residence in Canada under the skilled workers category.

After all this, you’re still unsure if your past experience can qualify you to immigrate to Canada under the Skilled Category? Then, use our self-assessment test and submit your information for a free assessment.

At Northern Road, we want to help you accomplish your dreams of a life in Canada!

Ignite your dreams. Go Further