Author: Yan Desjardins, Founder & Executive Director
Studying abroad is a big decision to make. There are many things to consider. Perhaps you have already decided that Canada will be your next home. If not: let us convince you why Canada should be your preferred option.
World-class and leading education system
Canada offers thousands of learning institutions for post-secondary education. With more than 15,000 programs to choose from, you’ll be sure to find the right one just for you! You can choose from college to university degrees at institutions offering top-notch learning environments and technologies.
Many universities in Canada are ranked amongst the best in the world: McGill University, University of British Columbia, Toronto University, and Queen’s University are some of the most prestigious Canadian institutions. One considerable fact about a Canadian university or college education: the cost of studying in Canada is less than in other comparable countries.
Canadian cities are amongst the most diverse in the world, making Canada a multicultural destination that should not be ignored. Study in Canada and meet students just like you that come from all around the world! This is a great way to connect with people from different cultures and make your studies in Canada that much more enriching!
Benefits to study in Canada
Your studies in Canada will provide you with credentials that are recognized worldwide. But that is not the only benefit of studying in Canada!
- We don’t mean to be repetitive, but it is worth repeating: the cost of studying in Canada is less than in other comparable countries, and you get a world-class education!
- Your study permit and visa will be issued for the duration of your program
- You can work in Canada while you study:
- On-Campus with no time limit
- Off-Campus: up to 20h/week during school terms and full-time during scheduled school breaks.
- Gain valuable work experience after graduating. You can apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit that can be valid for up to 3 years.
- Qualify to stay permanently in Canada. After working in Canada for a period of 12 months in a skilled job, you may qualify for a Permanent Resident Card.
- Finally, apply for Canadian Citizenship after meeting residency requirements.
Apply for a study permit
There are a few ways that you can apply to study in Canada. Have you heard about the Student Direct Stream (SDS) program? SDS is Canada’s fast-track access to your studies! Your application, once received, will be processed in 20 days.
We often get asked, what are the conditions to study in Canada?
- To have been accepted by a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in a post-secondary program;
- To have paid one year of tuition to the DLI
- To have completed upfront medical examination
- To have purchased a Guaranteed Investment Certificate of $10,000CAD from a Canadian Bank.
- To complete your biometrics enrollment.
With your application, you will need to provide some of the following documents:
- A valid passport: make sure your passport is valid for the duration of your program or longer.
- Letter of Acceptance from your DLI
- Police certificate: if you are over 18 years of age
- Financial documents (for non-SDS study permit)
At Northern Road, we make it easy for you to apply for your visa to study in Canada. Contact us today.
Prepare for your arrival.
Do not book your flights until you have been approved for your study permit. But you can start preparing for your life in Canada. Here are a few tips:
Look for a place to live
If you have decided not to live on your school campus, start looking at the areas of interest for you to rent an apartment. You may need the help of an agent or broker.
Look for a bank in Canada
If you have not done so already, take a look at the different options. Most Canadian banks offer competitive banking packages for students.
Public Transport and Commutes
Canada is a vast country with cities that stretch for kilometers. Canadian cities offer public transportation, but not all cities are the same. Take a look at what is available for your city and make sure you get the student fares.
Ready for the adventure of a lifetime? Let us accompany you on your journey to study in Canada. Contact us today.