Canadian Experience Class

Canadian Experience Class

by Northen Road, September 20th, 2021

Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a permanent residence program that allows Canadian international student postgraduates, foreign workers in Canada, and those who have previously worked in Canada to apply for permanent residence under the Express Entry program.

What are the requirements to apply?

The Canadian Experience Class program looks at three minimum requirements to determine your eligibility to immigrate to Canada under this skilled category. You must meet all 3 conditions.

Language Proficiency

For the Canadian Experience Class, the language benchmark differs slightly from the Federal Skilled Workers program.

The applicable minimum language benchmark for applicants with jobs under the skill type 0 or A is 7
The applicable minimum language benchmark for applicants with jobs under the skill type B is 5

Work Experience

To qualify under the CEC program, applicants must demonstrate that they have the required in-Canada work experience during the 3 years before the date of the application for permanent residence. In addition, the work experience must fall within the skill type 0, A, or B.

Applicant held one full-time job for at least 12 months. Full-time employment is defined as 30 hours/week, so effectively a minimum of 1560 hours.
A combination of part-time work of a maximum of 24 months. For example, 15 hours/week for 24 months will meet the minimum of 1560 hours required.
Full-time employment at more than one job. This means working multiple jobs that amount to 30 hours/week or 1560 hours.

Legal Status In Canada

The above work experience requirements must be obtained in Canada while being on authorized and legal working status. In other words, this means the applicant must have held a valid work permit for the entire duration of the work experience.


The Canadian Experience Class does not have an education requirement. This means applicants from all educational backgrounds can apply as long as they meet the minimum eligibility requirements. As well, applicants can still use their higher education credentials to get more Express Entry scoring points.

How can I apply for the Canadian Experience Class?

If you want to immigrate to Canada under the skilled category such as the Canadian Experience Class, you must first create a profile under the Express Entry Program and establish your Express Entry score.
Once you receive your invitation to apply for permanent residence, you can submit the documents in support of your application for your permanent residence visa using your online profile. Again, it’s easy, safe, and secure.

If you would like to know if you qualify for the Canadian Experience Class or any other Canadian immigration programs, use our self-assessment tool and receive a free assessment.